Friday, June 2, 2017

So This Has Been Happening - NICU Update

On May 27th, I did a NICU book project update and told people what we needed in the NICU.

Book people are awesome. People who value literacy are awesome. People who have used this service in the NICU are awesome. Apparently the right people saw my blog post because since that update, we have received 78 new books to give to the newborns in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit. The packages of books have been streaming in, and sorting these new books has been so much fun.

I may have cried a little to see that there are others who value literacy they way I do. This book project is about literacy, but reading to your babies builds so much more than literacy. It builds a bond that can't be broken between parent and child. I treasure the memories I have of my sweet mother reading to me. I remember myself and siblings rushing to get into bed on time in order to have a story read to us. My mother has a beautiful reading voice and made the books come alive.

I am thankful that these tiniest of babies can begin their journey through life with a parent's kind voice reading to them.

Thank you to all who shared our post or felt compelled to send books. We are helping families who often spend weeks and months in the hospital, and we are helping the babies get started on their literacy journey.

Just look at all these darling books. Many are board books which are great because babies need books they can handle and nibble without worrying about damage. Each packet of books we give contains five books. I try to have 2 paperbacks, 2 hardbacks, and 1 board book in each packet. Parents also receive an insert that explains the importance of reading to their baby from birth. All of this is contained in a 2 gallon ziplock to keep them safe at the hospital bedside.


Mikiya sent this group of books. I'm thankful to get so many board books. Thank you, Mikiya.

My neighbor's niece, Aimee, sent this group. Those double delight books are incredibly fun and check out the hardbacks and board books. Thank you, Aimee.

 This selection that includes two Spanish books is from Diane. I was completely out of Spanish books. Thank you, Diane.

Judson sent this adorable touch and feel board book. Thank you, Judson, the babies will love it.

 Heather included two Spanish books in her selection; we really needed them.  Thank you, Heather. 

This group is from Mary. I love the touch and feel books and Don and Audrey Woods are master storytellers. Thank you, Mary.

Leslie sent this batch that includes 12 board books. The babies will love these. Thank you, Leslie. 

Thank you again to all who shared our link and sent books. Together we can help so many more babies than I can help on my own. People are good.

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit. 

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment