Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel and illustrated by David Catrow

Everyone once in a while, I meet a children's picture book that I want to hug, so I hug it. Our Tree Named Steve written by Alan Zweibel and illustrated by David Catrow is one such book. Michelle told me about this book, and I bought it because David Catrow is one of my very most favorite illustrators. The pictures are as wonderful as the story.

Once upon a time, I had an old apricot tree that I loved probably more than I loved most people. I sat up in the leafy branches of that tree on many a hot summer's day, hiding out from the world and enjoying being at one with nature. When that tree was toppled in a late spring snow storm, I was crushed. I begged my step-father to set it back upright and somehow make it okay again. Of course there was nothing he could do to save my friend, but reading this book put me right back in the branches of my friend.

This story tells about a family who loves a big old tree in their yard. They love him so much that they name him Steve. We learn about how this tree sees the family through many fun times as the children grow up, and unfortunately, we see the family's sadness when a storm takes down Steve. I may have cried a little. This family chooses to use Steve in a new way.

The pictures are delightful as is always the case if David Catrow is illustrating the story. If you have a little nature lover in your life, they will love this book. Thanks for the recommendation, Michelle.


Michelle also sent over more books for the NICU. She found some wonderful books for the babies. I know the parents of those babies will enjoy reading these books to their little ones while they grow in the hospital.
 Yes, that is a copy of the Napping House. Love that book. 
The Cow That Went Oink is such a fun story. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We are in need of Spanish books at this time, especially board books. 

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment