Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson

Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson was published in 2001, and was a completely different style than her book Which Witch? I enjoyed Which Witch?, but I really loved Journey to the River Sea because it is my favorite genre of realistic fiction. 

In Journey to the River Sea, set over hundred years ago when proper ladies still wore corsets, Maia, the main character has been orphaned. She is wealthy and is being sent to Brazil near the Amazon River to live with some distant relatives, relatives she hopes will be nice and love her. Her friends are scared for to go into the wilds of the Brazil, and although the things they say should scare her, Maia is a brave girl of thirteen.

When she arrives in Brazil she quickly learns that her relatives only want her for one reason, money. Maia must find a way to protect herself from them and to help two new friends stay safe. She hopes to gain the one thing she most wants - a real adventure. 

This book also has nice pictures tucked into the chapters. 

I liked the friendships in this story. I also liked that the native people of Brazil were portrayed in a positive way. They were not portrayed as magical but as real people who simply had different customs than those Maia had known in England. I liked the racial diversity, and that the people were proud of their racial diversity. Both Finn and Clovis as friends were wonderful - both so different from each other, but both of them great friends. 

I loved the ending. 




Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment