Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup

Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup was first published in 1853, and I'm not sure how I never knew of it until now.

Solomon Northup was a free man who was drugged and kidnapped and then sold into slavery in Washington, D.C. in 1841. He was stolen from his wife and children. He was beaten and ended up in several plantations in Louisiana. After his rescue, he published a memoir of his time spent as a slave. Solomon was well educated and well written. His story is intense and was an immediate best seller - so how did I miss reading this forty-five years ago?

I can't imagine the heartache his family endured not knowing what had become of him.

I'm glad I found it now. I haven't seen the movie, but I'd rather read. If you saw the movie and read the book, was it as good as the book? This book is well worth the read. I gave it five out of five stars.



Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment