Thursday, April 2, 2020

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli was published in 2015 and quickly became the movie; Love, Simon. I enjoyed the movie and wanted to read this book.

I ended up listening to the audio version, which was well narrated, and I liked it more than the movie. There are two scenes in the movie that didn't ring true to me, but those scenes were handled much differently in the book, so the part of me that loves a good story was content.

This book is about Simon, a gay teen who is not yet out. We find out in the opening sentences that a classmate has read an email Simon sent to another gay teen. Simon's classmate proceeds to blackmail him into setting him up with a girl who Simon is friends with.

I like that this story deals with hard subjects such as the coming out story and who that story belongs to. This book addresses the fear of being shunned, teased, or not accepted when one comes out. The teens in this book are navigating friendships and betraying friends even when they don't mean to. It also talks about forgiveness - who to forgive and who not to trust again.

This book has an amazing theater teacher. All kids need a teacher like her.

This is a book for older teens as it contains adult language and situations, but it's an important story for many.



Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment