Thursday, August 27, 2015

Throwback Thursday - Humbug Witch

On Thursday's I will feature a book that is at least 30 years old - so published in 1985 or earlier.

In keeping with my books for kids theme from yesterday, here is my favorite book from when I was a little girl: Humbug Witch by Lorna Balian published in 1965.
This book delighted me as a child, is fun to read, and has a surprise ending. This book stands the test of time and is still just as delightful today as it was when it was first published. The pictures are fun and Lorna Balian uses font size to make the book even more fun to read.  The big font is read in a louder voice and the little font is read in a little voice. 


I won't give away the surprise ending in case you haven't read this book. I used to check this book out twice a month at my school library. I was happy when I rediscovered this book as an adult so that I could share it with my children and grand children. Thanks, Lorna Balian for the memories. 

What was your favorite childhood book?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite book was called Troll Country and was published in 1980. My brother and I would constantly check it out from the library. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3162360-troll-country

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, thanks for sharing. I haven't read that one, but I am familiar with the names of the author and illustrator. I'll have to check it ou.

    ReplyDelete