Thursday, October 1, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Down a Dark Hall

Today is October 1st, which means not only is it my birthday, but is is also Halloween month, which means we can focus on books with creep factor. Get ready for a month of ghosts, spirits, and the supernatural.

Down a Dark Hall published in 1974 by Lois Duncan is just one of her books that deal with the supernatural. Imagine you get an invitation to an exclusive boarding school, but when you arrive, you find out there are only four students. Why are there only four students? What does the director of Blackwood want from them?

From the inside cover: "I look awful, Kit thought wretchedly. Just awful.

And then, as she tilted her head, she caught sight of him, the person walking behind her.

In horror she stood there, frozen, one foot lifted for the next step, her eyes staring into the the other eyes reflected in the mirror.

It can't be, she told herself. There can't be anyone behind me. The hall was vacant when I came out of my room. Anyone behind me now would have had to come out of it with me, and that's impossible.

And yet the man was there, his image as clear as her own, standing so close behind her that it was incredible that she did not feel his breath upon the back of her neck.

Dragging in her breath, Kit did the only thing that she could do. She closed her eyes and screamed."

Kit is resourceful in this story that contains just the right amount of creep factor.

Read this book after dark when you are alone to amp up the feeling of being watched.

What is your favorite scary book?


2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I used to love the Goosebumps series when I was younger. And Kiss the Girls was kinda freaky for me, but I am a bit of a chicken so try to avoid really scary books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Goosebumps are so much fun. I used to love Stephen King when I was a teen, but now that I'm older, I don't want to be that scared or grossed out, so I stick with books that offer just enough creep factor without the gore or terror.

      Delete