Friday, June 3, 2016

Clementine by Sara Pennypacker

I've been looking for books that will appeal to my grand daughters, Callie and Kayana, and Clementine by Sara Pennypacker is a book I think they will enjoy. In the spirit of Ramona the Pest, Sara Pennypacker has a created a truly likable character in Clementine.

She thinks it is weird to be named after a fruit, so she calls her baby brother random vegetable names. She struggles to sit still and is usually paying attention to the all the wrong things. She is impetuous, but she is a darling and reminds me of my youngest daughter. She is a tender friend, a loving sister, a worrier about being the bad child, and she seems incredibly real for a fictional character.

I found myself chuckling quite a bit. The lexile measure is AD750, so they are meant to be more of a read aloud than a read alone, but I think proficient early readers could manage these books.

Marla Frazee, the illustrator, does an excellent job of bring Clementine and her family and friends to life. Her artwork adds to the delight of the character. Her pictures of Clementine and Margaret with their hair cut off is completely delightful, especially with the squiggly maker lines drawn on their foreheads and necks after they color their own cropped heads with markers.



After reading Clementine, I read one of the sequels, Clemetine's Letter and found it as charming as the first one. This is a series for early readers age six to nine, but this old reader will probably read the entire series as I love the writing and the characters.


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment