Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Great Book sale at Savers

Our Savers thrift stores had a one day sale on books - everything half price. What this means is that Michelle and I could buy children's picture books for 40 cents each - yes 40 cents. We hit four different Savers and bought a lot of books. We set aside the like-new picture books for the NICU book project, but we also found treasures for ourselves and our grandchildren.

I may or may not have purchased 123 books, but in my defense, 57 of those went to the NICU. Michelle also donated 57 books to the NICU.

Here are pictures of her finds. There were so many that it took three pictures to get them all in.

Thanks to Michelle for loving my book project as much as I do.

I packaged up 21 packets (105 books) for the NICU and still had

these books left over because there weren't enough board books, so I ordered some from Usborne books, and as soon as they get here, I'll make up more packets. I like every baby to get at least one board book in their packet. 

Parents at the NICU are reading the books to their older children who come to visit their baby sisters and brothers. It does my heart good to see these books being used and loved by entire families. Reading is power!

If you'd like to contribute to our book drive for NICU babies, here is how you can help:

1. You can order books for your own children (of all ages) from our online Usborne book party and the proceeds will go to purchase books for the NICU. I've received over $350.00 in free books for the NICU from people buying books for their own families through this web link. Usborne is really good to their hostesses, and they have great board books for babies. Click on the link: Usborne book sale to benefit NICU The books you order will be shipped directly to your home. You can then give them to your children, grandchildren, nieces, or nephews. The free books from the hostess benefits go to the NICU. Remember to get some summer reading books for your family. 

2. We have set up a baby registry at Amazon.com with many books listed for the NICU babies. Some of these books only cost $2.50. Many of these are classics that all children should have. Click on this link if you'd like to help provide books for the NICU: Catherine Crosby Building Lifelong Readers Book Registry. If you order books for us, they will be shipped to me, and I will package and send them to the NICU. 

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment