Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Clementine, Friend of the Week by Sara Pennypacker

Book four in Sara Pennypacker's Clementine series is my favorite so far. In Clementine, Friend of the Week, Pennypacker captures the ins, outs, anxieties, and rewards of friendship.

When Clementine gets picked as friend of the week, she wants to be a good friend to everyone so they will write nice things about her in her friendship book. She has a great idea to help all the kids in her class, but her kitten, Moisturizer, gets lost, and Clementine is so sad that she is unable to put her idea into action. Now Clementine is the one who needs a friend, but Margaret isn't speaking to her.

This series shows kids how to navigate problems they will face in life in a fun non-didactic way. Clementine is a darling who reminds me of my youngest daughter. I am reminded of Beverly Cleary's Ramona when I read this series. If you or you child like Ramona, you will enjoy this series.

I also read book two, The Talented Clementine, and feel this series will become a classic. It is timeless and children will relate to it for years to come. Once again, I loved the illustrations by Marla Frazee. In this novel, Clementine shows her compassionate nature and empathy for others. She really is a darling girl.



Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment