Thursday, May 11, 2017

NICU Update 5/10/2017

So far this year, we've had 273 books donated for the NICU babies. Along with the 336 that I've purchased, we've been able to place 122 packets with babies. Each baby gets a packet with five books that their parents can read to them while they grow in the NICU. Often when babies are born premature, they spend a long time in the hospital, so there is a lot of time to read to these little ones. One book won't cut it, but five books gives the parents some options. When the babies are released from the hospital, they take their packet of books home with them.

This project wasn't intended to be a long term project, but it has turned into one. I can't bear to stop sending books because it helps the parents, and I know from experiences as a mother and teacher that children who are read to start school with a huge advantage over those who are not read to. Each packet we give highlights the advantages of reading to your babies.

Our most recent donations:

Angie sent these five and that Dino Pop-up Faces book is adorable. Now you, too can be a dinosaur. I also love the touch and feel books for babies. Plus, she included a Spanish board book. We are always in need of Spanish books.


Sharon Hall sent over these nine board books. I love getting board books for the babies. Babies need to be able to handle their books and these allow them to do so. Mem Fox's Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes is one of my favorites. She also included some touch and feel books.



Michelle dropped off thirty-five: I love when anyone brings books and especially when Where the Wild Things Are is included. Every child should have that book. Michelle is my dear friend who loves this project as much as I do. She is our biggest benefactor and has donated 238 books so far this year.



I appreciate those who have embraced our little book project and helped it grow. Together we can reach so many more babies and give them the gift of literacy than I can do on my own. Getting a donation of 200 ziplock bags from my mom also helped us out and keeps the books safe while they are at the baby's bedside. Thanks to all of you who send books and other supplies to keep this book giveaway going.

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to newborn babies.

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment