Friday, December 29, 2017

Clara Barton: Founder of the Red Cross by Augusta Stevenson

I would have loved this book as a child as I loved true stories about strong women. Clara Barton: Founder of the Red Cross by Augusta Stevenson gives the reader a feel for what Clara was like as a child. I never knew that Clara had almost debilitating anxiety (It is called being shy in the book) when she was little. I still love books about strong women who face hard challenges.

I learned that she was the youngest and adored daughter of her family. Her siblings were all a lot older than she was. She got her start by nursing sick and injured animals back to health. She started her nursing career as a child by nursing her friend and her brother back to health. She was a school teacher for a time.

This chapter book has larger text, great white space, and nice illustrations by Frank Giacoia. This book was published in 1946.




Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment