Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Boy: Tale of Childhood by Roald Dahl

Boy Tales of Childhood is the first installment of Roald Dahl's life as told by himself. I read the second book, Going Solo first.

Roald tells of his childhood in such a way that makes the stories come right off the page. I enjoyed the humor, but I found the abuses that happened at boarding school incredibly sad, and no one should ever cane a child.

Throughout the story, the reader can sense the love Roald has for his mother. She was a strong woman, one you would want on your side. His description of the horrible candy store lady reminded me of the Trunchbull and some of his experiences at boarding school remind me of Crunchem Hall. I can see where he got the inspiration for parts of Matilda.

This book has photographs, but in my Scholastic copy, they are poorly reproduced and hard to see any detail. I think any child who reads this book will be thankful that corporal punishment is no longer used in the public school system, at least in my state.



Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment