Friday, October 5, 2018

The Lake House by Kate Morton

We read The Lake House by Kate Morton for our September book club. This book was published in 2015, and is a good mystery. I was kept guessing almost until the end.

In the first chapter, an unknown woman is burying something, something heavier than she'd thought it would be. I thought this character was Alice, and then I thought this character was Eleanor, and then I wondered if it was Nanny Rose, or or maybe Constance. The reader doesn't find out until nearly the end. 

The story travels in time from 1933 to 2003 to 1914 to 2004 and back and forth all through the book. The story is told from several different point of views as the narration follows the different possible suspects. 

Sadie is a current day detective on leave from her job for stepping on toes. She stumbles across a seventy-year-old missing person's case. A baby disappeared, but the reader doesn't know what happened to him. 

I found myself hating one character after the other as I thought they may have killed the missing child. Sadie also has a modern day mystery that plays a role in the story but not in the story of the missing child. 

Kate Morton is a good story teller. This isn't the first book our book club has read by her and it probably won't be the last. 





Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment