Monday, September 16, 2019

Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly

Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly was published in 2016, and I have not yet viewed the movie. I listened to the audio version, and it was excellent.

I found this book interesting even though the subject matter (advanced math) can be quite dry.

I loved how Shetterly followed each of the women and told their stories of how they fought against racial discrimination and sexist policies. I like that this story was written by a Black author as it reads truer.

Shetterly writes well and makes what could be a confusing story understandable. Without Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden, NASA would have taken a lot longer to put a man on the moon, if at all. These women were smart, strong, and ahead of their time. They helped forge a path for others to follow.

I would love to see more books that show what happened behind the scenes and gives proper credit for many of the accomplishments of the last two plus centuries in the United States.




Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Our NICU book project is still receiving books. Here are our latest donations.

These are from Renee Bond. I love the classic board books. They are perfect for babies.


The United Way dropped these off with Angie for our project.


Teresa gave these books to our project. I sure appreciate all these donations. I think we may be able to add a new hospital if this keeps up.



Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment