Monday, March 16, 2020

Galimoto by Karen Lynn Williams and Catherine Stock

Last week, I found this wire motorcycle at a charity shop, and it made me think of Galimoto by Karen Lynn Williams and Catherine Stock, which was published in 1990 and is a Reading Rainbow book. I thought I could get my grandkids together and read this book and then let them attempt to make their own Galimoto. Now we will have to wait a bit while we work on social distancing.


Galimoto is the story of a boy named Kondi who is only seven-years-old. He wants to make a Galimoto (this means motor car in English). He lives in Africa and doesn't have enough wire. The story follows him as he uses his ingenuity to gather enough wire to create a truck. He has made a puppet and ball out of found items, so this book is great for helping kids create useful things from found items.

The watercolor art by Catherine Stock is beautiful.


Angela Jensen sent us ten more books for the NICU babies. Thank you, Angela.


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 


Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment