Monday, June 15, 2020

NICU Book Project Helpers

I am thankful for helpers in our world. Because of the pandemic, it's been impossible for me to go to thrift shops and seek like new books for our project, so we were low on books. Angie sent out an SOS and so many people have responded. We received a cash donation from an anonymous donor. We'll use that money to purchase many books from Scholastic. We are also going to use some of that money to purchase Breathe by Scott Magoon. It's a perfect book for these little ones who are learning to breathe on their own.

Many more books have been ordered by helpers and are on their way. These books have arrived so far.

Christi Alvey sent a whole bunch of books and they are coming at different times. If you haven't read Good Night Gorilla, you are in for a treat. This is such a fun story.

 
Shari Garrett sent these fun board books. Babies love touch and feel books.

Jordan Smith sent this group. Are You My Mother was my youngest son's favorite book when he was little.

Gayle Speechly sent these board books. I love board books for babies. They can stand up to little fingers.

Brett Steinicke sent these board books. This is fun selection for littles.

Charmain Robinson sent the very funny Wonky Donkey.

Caitlynn Cowles sent this fun selection. Babies love books with flaps.

Jennifer Kite sent these. I love The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs; it's so funny.

Debbie Murray sent these: I loved Put Me in the Zoo when I was little.

James and Wyatt Frandsen sent these fun books. Spanish books are appreciated for the families that need them.

Brandi Cunliffe sent these two hardbacks. Both are beautiful books and Dragons Love Tacos is such a fun story.

Amazon forgot to put the paper in this package, so I'm unsure who donated this book, but I thank you for your help.

Christi Alvey sent this selection as well. I appreciate her support of this project. She's going to bring joy to many families.

Cooper Frandsen sent these. This is such a fun story.
 
Nicole sent these books. Kevin Henkes is one of my favorite children's authors. 


If you are unfamiliar with our project, we give each baby in the NICU a package containing five books so that parents can read to them during their often lengthy hospital stays. They get to take the books home with them and hopefully gain a life long love of reading as they begin their literacy journey.

I am thankful for all these helpers. We couldn't reach every baby in our NICU without your support. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

Read to a child today even if that child is you.


No comments:

Post a Comment