Friday, August 18, 2017

Maya Angelou, Letter to My Daughter

When I first saw Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou, I thought, "But she doesn't have a daughter."

Then in reading it, I discovered that she wrote it is for all the women in her life: friends, mothers grandmother, and to any woman who feels the need of a mother figure.

I listened to the audio version that is read by Maya Angelou, and I think it made me like the book even more than I would have if I had just read it. Angelou has a wonderful reading voice that is rich and soothing.

This book contains experiences and essays from her own life, and she has had quite the life. I love that she can find joy in the hard times and see the value of her experiences.

I loved her story about meeting the stranger who thought she was a friend, but they discovered that neither of them knew the other, and yet this woman went on to become a friend and play an important role in her life. She said, "I learned that a friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face" (75).

This is a book for women of all ages. She includes experiences from all ages and what she learned from the experience. As always, Angelou is profound and inspiring.


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit.

Check out these board books that Michelle brought over. Seven of them are Spanish. Hooray and thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment