Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card is book two of the Ender Saga. I struggled through the first two chapters not feeling connected, but I am glad I stuck with it. Yes, Ender is in this book.

Blurb from Goodreads: In the aftermath of his terrible war, Ender Wiggin disappeared, and a powerful voice arose: the Speaker for the Dead, who told of the true story of the Bugger War.

Now long years later, a second alien race has been discovered, but again the aliens’ ways are strange and frightening…again, humans die. And it is only the Speaker for the Dead, who is also Ender Wiggin the Xenocide, who has the courage to confront the mystery…and the truth.
 


This story takes place 3,000 years after Ender's Game and Ender is now seen as a villain - the person who destroyed an entire species. I liked how Card explores the role of knowledge and our interpretation of history. I like how he shows how our fears come from a lack of understanding. I like that he shows that we can be over-regulated to the point that knowledge can not move forward. I also like that he was able to speak for those who no one cared for in a way that was honest. 



I feel that now more than ever, we must learn to understand each other in order to have peace in our land. 



Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit. We are in need of books at this time as I am taking our last twenty packets to Angie this weekend. They've had a bit of a baby boom. 

1 comment:

  1. I finished this book last night! What a coincidence! I loved his retelling of the woman caught in adultery.

    ReplyDelete