Friday, February 1, 2019

Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk

Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk was published in 2017. I enjoyed this book because I learned about Penikese Island off of Massachusetts that was once a leper colony.

I listened to the audio version that was narrated by Jorjeana Marie. The story is told from Crow's point of view. As a newborn, someone tucked her into a boat and sent her out to sea. She drifted to a fictional island off Cuttyhunk and was found by an artist named Osh. He named her Crow because she was hoarse from crying and sounded like a crow.

The people who live on her island refuse to touch or associate with her because they worry she has drifted in from Penikese and is infected with leprosy. This story is Crow's attempt to find her roots.

I liked the growth in her character and in the characters around her. I love learning new things, so I did some research on Penikese. It has served many purposes throughout the years from nature preserve to leper colony, a mental hospital, and a place for troubled youth.

This book is just right for middle grade and middle school readers and the winner of the 2018 Scott O'Dell award for historical fiction.



My friend, Alysen, brought over these cute books for our NICU book project. Thank you so much!



Read to a child today even if that child is you.

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment