Saturday, February 8, 2020

I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures by Carlyn Beccia

I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures by Carlyn Beccia was published in 2010 and like the title says, contains history's strangest cures.

I like the how Beccia set up this book. She shows the cures for a malady and lets the reader try to guess which ones worked. On the next page, the reader gets to see if they are correct and learn the science behind it.

The pictures in this book are quite fun, and this in no way reads like a textbook even though it is informational text.

If you have a young scientist, a budding physician, a child who enjoys humor, or one who likes things that are a bit disgusting, you need this book in your library.


At Christmas time, Corbin Canfield organized a book drive for his Eagle Project. As part of that project, he collected money for books. The book box arrived - eighty-eight new books for the NICU babies. Thank you to all who donated to his project. Thanks also to my friend, Marla. She allows me to order from her Scholastic book order and gives us the bonus books that come with it.




Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment