Friday, May 27, 2016

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

The 2009 Newbery Winner, When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead is one my students would have liked. I had many students who asked, "Do you  have anything with time travel?

Time travel books make a person think - very hard.

Miranda, the main character, loves the novel A Wrinkle in Time, so she is open to the idea of time travel.

Strange things start to happen. Miranda gets a note saying, "I am coming to save your friend's life, and my own. I ask two favors. First, you must write me a letter."

The letters keep coming, and Miranda sees that the writer can predict the future.

I like that Miranda has a good mother who cares about where she is and who she is with. She has a good father figure who treats her and her mother with respect and love. She has a friend who for some reason is ignoring her, but she finds ways to be good friends with others. This is a good solid read with a good ending.


Read to a child today even if that child is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment