Thursday, October 13, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson was first published in 1886, and I am almost ashamed to admit that I haven't read it until recently. I read a few pages of the old Scholastic copy I own from 1965, but we are in the middle of a remodel, so reading time has been limited, but I have a free app from LibriVox that has the audio of many books that are in public domain, so I listened to Kidnapped while I packed the house for the remodel and bottled fruit before I lost my kitchen for eight weeks.

Robert Louis Stevenson is one of the old masters for a reason, and this book shows why. My only complaint was to wonder why David Balour's father hadn't told him more about his rotten uncle. Of course if he had, David's entire adventure would have never taken place.

I loved David's friendship with Alan and how realistic it was. Sometimes they struggled to get along, but they were loyal to each other anyway. Stevenson builds the spirit of suspense well, and I worried tremendously about David and Alan.

The story wraps up nicely, but I've since learned that there is a sequel Catriona, so I'll have to see if the ending worked out as nicely as I thought.

I'll be listening to many classics in the next little while. Currently, I am listening to The Count of Monte Cristo, and I am enjoying it so much that I will hate to see it end.


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment