Monday, December 11, 2017

I am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

I listened to I am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley, and the reader was perfect as Flavia. She was just the right combination of snarkiness, intelligence, and innocence. This is book four in the Flavia de Luce mysteries.

Flavia is an eleven year-old sleuth who has an inherited chemistry lab, and her favorite variety of chemicals are poisons. Each book has a mystery to solve and there is a dead body at some point of the story.

In this installment, her father has rented out their estate to a film company, and of course they bring the mystery with them. Precocious Flavia can not stay out of the way, and of course when a dead body shows up, she refuses to be left out of trying to solve the case.

The relationship between Flavia and her sisters is complicated, but their relationships develop and grow. Their butler/man of everything, Dogger, is still one of my favorite characters as he is complicated but loving. We learn a bit more about the love story between Flavia's dead mother and her father.

This is a great series for your budding scientist, or if you are like me and love everything British, you will enjoy this series. My copy of this book has a skeleton with a Santa hat on the cover, but this one is nice as well.


Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

Michelle brought for more books for the babies. Thank you, Michelle. 

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment