Friday, December 21, 2018

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon was published in 2015. Madeline, the main character, has a medical condition that makes her allergic to everything, so she lives in a plastic bubble. Her plastic bubble is her home that has filtration systems and limited people. She sees her mom, her nurse, and once in a while her teacher.

She is nearly eighteen, and she is tired of living - or not living - her life this way. When a cute boy moves in next door, she wonders if meeting him in person might be worth risking her life.

This novel had an ending that I suspected but it was concealed enough to keep me guessing.

I enjoyed the characters and they way they grew, helped one another, and stood together when needed.

Quotes I liked:

"I was happy before I met him, but I'm alive now, and those are not the same thing" (181).

"You don't exist if no one can see you" (246).

"Olly's math says you can't predict the future. It turns out that you can't predict the past either. Time moves in both directions - forward and backward - and what happens here and now changes them both" (261).




Read to a child today even if that child is you.

Heidi sent a box of books to our book project. Some will go to local little free libraries, and these will head to the NICU to be gifted to the babies. Thank you, Heidi. 



Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment