Friday, April 26, 2019

Shout by Laurie Halse Anderson

Shout by Laurie Halse Anderson was published in 2019 and is a sister book to Speak. Shout is Anderson's autobiography told in poetry form.

I needed this book to be published this year because it gives me hope that just maybe, my own autobiography will some day make it into print. I'm not famous like Anderson. I've yet to publish a book, but for years I have tried to write my history for my children. Every attempt has failed because there are many sad parts to my growing up and the writing of it caused me to sink into depression.

I started writing my story as poetry, and I've been able to continue writing because I can deal with the sadness as long as its just one poem at a time.

Shout will help those in the #metoo movement speak out. I love the title of this book. The poetry is written in free verse and is quite raw at times, but life is often raw, and in these bite sized pieces we can hear it without breaking.



Read to a child today even if that child is you.

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment