Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The Lost for Words Bookshop by Stephanie Butland

The Lost for Words Bookshop by Stephanie Butland was published in 2017. I was lucky enough to pick up a copy at my library for a dime. I listened the audio version narrated by Imogen Church. I love her as a narrator with her lovely Scottish/British accent.

This novel is set in a bookshop and shows how books can save us.

The main character, Loveday Cardew, loves books so much that from her favorite books, she tattoos their first lines onto her body. Loveday is without a family, and the story tells you why she is without them, so I won't spoil it for you. Butland gives wonderful descriptions that helped me feel like I'd walked right into her world with all the smells, sounds, and sights.

The characters are well written and come to life. They are flawed and so lifelike that you probably know people just like them. I found myself cheering them on. I love the growth of the characters and how they learn from poetry and all other genres of books.

I stayed up way too late listening to this book.

There is currently a copy of this book in my little free library.



Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment