Monday, October 28, 2019

The Rabbit Listened by Cori Doerrfeld

One of the books sent to the NICU by Liam's family is The Rabbit Listened by Cori Doerrfeld. I believe Liam's grandpa sent this book. It was published in 2018 and has already won twelve awards. 

I posted several of the pages of this book because it could be used to help a child deal with a disappointment, a loss of any kind, frustration, grief, and help them learn to be empathetic. 



Inside the cover is a book plate letting the family who gets it know that it is from Liam. 


 A child builds a great thing and is happy about it.

 But something bad comes and destroys his creation.

The child is sad.

Several different animals come and try to tell him how he should feel and want to feel that big feeling with him.


But the child doesn't want to be told how he should feel. He needs to feel his own feelings.

The rabbit comes and cuddles up to him and listens. He doesn't tell him he should be mad, or get over it, or anything else. Rabbit just listens. 


And after the child gets all his feelings out and the time is right, Rabbit helps him rebuild. 

They say that those who read have more compassion. I love books that model good behavior without being didactic. This is a great book to add to your library. I know I will be purchasing this book for my own library.

It seems like when ever I am having a really hard day, I get a package with books from Liam's family. It makes me feel like Liam wants to come play in the books with me. This package arrived the morning after my sister passed away, and while it didn't make everything better, it did brighten my day and made me think about another angel in heaven whose family remembers him and brightens the world in his name. Thank you to the aunt or uncle of Liam who picked just the right day to send this package.

This books are so cute and just the right size for little hands. Each has a bookplate letting the recipient know that these are from Liam.


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment