Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Ghosts I Have Been by Richard Peck

Ghosts I Have Been by Richard Peck was published in 1977 and is the second book in the Blossom Culp series. I enjoy ghost stories and found this book in a little free library on our way to Cedar City two months ago. This copy is pretty tattered, so I ordered a new one along with book one of this series.

I enjoy Peck's writing style, and I didn't feel lost in this story even though it is book two and I haven't yet read book one. His characters really come to life and he adds touches of humor to brighten the story. This story begins with Blossom pretending to be a ghost to prevent boys in her town from tipping over the outhouses on Halloween night.

Later in the story she helps a neighbor with a ghostly problem, she rescues a performing ghost, takes a trip on the Titanic, and gets to meet the Queen.

I like the touches of history included in this story, and I love the characters and their growth during the story.

My favorite lines: "Besides to turn me ladylike might have rendered me useless and possibly ornamental" (104).

"He's getting ganglier by the minute and was worse than a sack full of squirrels" (204).

I look forward to reading the rest of the series.



Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment