Sunday, July 31, 2022

Hidden by Helen Frost

Hidden by Helen Frost was published in 2011. This story is written in verse, and I found the story compelling enough to read in one sitting. 

The story begins from Wren's point of view as an eight-year-old who was unintentionally kidnapped by a car thief. Her sense of fear is well written. 

From page 15, "I was shaking.                                                                                                                                                         Trying hard not to cry.                                                                                                                               How could I sleep                                                                                                                                                  in the crowded boat?                                                                                                                                   I was thirsty.                                                                                                                                                    Hungry.                                                                                                                                                            I had to pee."

In the next section we get to hear the point of view of the kidnapper's daughter. Her story is also written in verse, and pay attention to the end word of each line because they let the reader know what else was happening. I found this cleverly crafted. 

Darra is upset that her abusive father has been sent to jail, which some readers may find unbelievable, but I understand the desire to have a father in your life even if he isn't a good father. 

Later, the girls meet at camp and things become even more interesting as they both have trauma they act out. 

I think teen readers will like this book, and I will add a copy to my classroom. 


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment