Monday, October 10, 2022

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

 The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot was published in 2010, and I finally listened to the well narrated audio version. I enjoyed this story for many reasons. It brings up a lot of discussion points about who really owns tissue samples, who should own them, and who should get financial compensation for them. 

It's a shame that Lacks' family was never compensated for the most famous cell-line ever. Her family was so poor, they lost their mother, and should have received something. You can argue that research would stop if researchers had to pay, but for these important cells, her family should have received compensation. 

I enjoyed the story of Lacks' family and felt Skloot represented them in an unbiased way. I also enjoyed how she revealed the science behind the person and how far science has progressed since Henrietta's diagnosis of cervical cancer. I am thankful for the research that she made possible and for all the lives that have benefited. It's a shame it couldn't have helped her or her family. 

I gave this book 5 stars. 


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

My friend, Grace, donated books to our NICU book project. Thank you, Grace. 



Link to our NICU book registry to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment