Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Wolves Chronicles by Joan Aiken

I try hard to read a series in order, but once in a while, I get it wrong. I didn't realize that I didn't have book two until after I read book three and thought, "That is more of a companion book." Turns out that book two links book one and three together.

The Wolves Chronicles start with The Wolves of Willoughby Chase which is the country house of a wealthy Englishman. His daughter, Bonnie, and her cousin, Sylvia, are left with a wicked governess. When things go from bad to worse, a very brave and spunky Bonnie must help her cousin find a way to safety. With the help of Bonnie's friend, Simon, they may be able to stop the evil Miss Slighcarp. First published in 1962, this story is a bit scary with a house that has secret passageways.



Book two is called Black Hearts in Battersea, and I haven't read it yet, but this story follows Simon and introduces a new character, DidoTwite.

Book Three follows Dido Twite who may be one of the best girl characters ever. Nightbirds on Nantucket begins just after Dido is rescued from the sea. She has been asleep for ten months, but when she awakens, she is ready to take on any challenge. Her first challenge is to get the Captain's very timid daughter to come out of hiding. Dido is clever and never forceful with Penny. When the girls are sent to the Captain's home, they find themselves in danger by Penny's sinister Aunt Tribulation. Published in 1966 this story has elements of Moby Dick and Jane Eyre.

I loved the character development in both the story and will for sure be getting book two and reading it. There are ten books in this series, and I will be on the lookout for the rest of this series. The things one finds out when writing a book blog. The more I read, the more I need to read. :)


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment