Saturday, May 27, 2017

Newborn Intensive Care Unit Update

I will deliver 32 more packet of books to the NICU on Monday. I have been amazed at how the books I need for this project seem to come my way because of good people in the world. If I'm low on any type of book, I say a prayer and within the week, what I need is either provided at an incredible price at a store or yardsale, or some kind person seems to donate just what our project needs.

For instance, I ran out of brightly colored cardstock that I use to make the inserts for the book packets explaining the importance of reading to your children. Today, I found a ream of just the paper I needed at a yard sale for a dollar.

Last week, we were getting low on board books, and not only did I find a few at good prices, my cute neighbor brought her two darling children over to each donate a Sandra Boynton book for the NICU babies. Thank you to Emily and her two littles.


Today, I am going to share what we need for our project.

1. Right now we are completely out of Spanish books. Children need to be read to in their home language.  It helps if a child is first proficient in their first language before learning a second language. So we need Spanish books for babies.

2. We need hardback books. Each packet of books contains 2 hardback, 2 paperback, and 1 board book. I am completely out of hardback books.

3. We still have a few board books, but we can always use more.

If you'd like to help us with this project, you can bring new or gently used books to me or Angie, or you can use our Amazon link and they will ship the books you choose directly to me.

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this project. Helping children become readers is so dear to my heart as I believe that knowledge and books save lives and bring a tremendous amount of enjoyment to our world.


No comments:

Post a Comment