Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Wuthering Heights: The Graphic Novel Edition retold by Jim Pipe

You know I can't walk away from a 50 cent graphic novel retelling of Emily Bronte's classic Wuthering Heights. This slim little volume summarizes the story in a scant 41 pages.

I liked that this book had a family tree and character list. The artwork by Nick Spender captures the mood of the original story. Jim Pipe's retelling is good, but one doesn't really get the layered nuances of Heathcliff's character. If you need a quick refresher on characters and plot points, this book is one way to do so. This is also a good way to interest a student in a classic.

A couple of pages are dedicated to Emily Bronte's life. My only concern was that it said, "The girls were treated so badly there (at a school) that Emily's elder sisters Maria and Elizabeth both became ill with tuberculosis and died shortly after they returned home" (42). Poor treatment doesn't cause TB.


Read to a child today even if that child is you revisiting an old favorite in a new way. 


Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit. 

I'd like to give a shout out to those who have been ordering books from this registry. Thank you so very much. I almost cried when I saw that over 40 books are headed my way. Okay, I did cry a little. This project means so very much to me. Thank you. Thank you, Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment