Friday, June 23, 2017

The Three Questions by Jon J. Muth

The Three Questions, based on a story by Leo Tolstoy was written and illustrated by Jon J. Muth and published in 2002.  Of course it contains his gorgeous watercolor paintings. Did I tell you I love his art and have purchased books because of his artistic talent?

In this story, a young boy has three questions: When is the best time to do things? Who is the most important one? and What is the right thing to do?

As this child goes on a journey to find the answers, he gets a few different answers - all of them good answers, but they are not the answers he is ultimately looking for. After he helps a farmer and saves a panda and her baby, he discovers the answers to these questions.

This is a thought provoking book and I can picture myself using it in the classroom. I can imagine students trying to answer those questions for themselves, having a Socratic discussion or debate on each one. Not to mention that the art is fantastic and brings out the emotion of the story.

I am so happy to have added this treasure to my storybook collection. It is worth every penny.



 Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment