Thursday, June 8, 2017

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce is a book that I listened to on Overdrive. The reader was fantastic and may have contributed to why I enjoyed this book so much.

Harold Fry has recently retired. He and his wife are estranged. He seems to love her a lot, but for some reason they have grown apart. He gets a letter from a woman he used to work with years ago telling him that she is dying of cancer. At some point, Queenie, the woman who is dying, did something for Harold, but the reader doesn't know what she did.

Harold writes her a letter, but as he goes to mail it, a letter doesn't seem like it is enough, and he decides to walk 600 miles to visit her. He isn't in walking shoes, has forgotten his cell phone, and only has the clothing on his back, but walk he does.

As he walks, he thinks over his life. We learn about his wife, his child, his job, and Queenie. He meets people during his travels, and he learns about himself by learning about others.

This book made me feel good. It made me want to be a little kinder. There is a plot twist that kind of blew my mind. It also made me listen again to the audio after I'd finished it. So yes, I listened to this book twice in the period of a few days.

This is book one of two, and I will be getting the second book, The Love Song of Queenie Hennessy. I want to know more about Queenie as I loved how she was portrayed in the first book even though she isn't in it a lot. This book has surprises, and I love when an author can surprise me. This book will make you laugh, cry, and think about the relationships in your life and how you might make them stronger.

I love the font used on the cover.






Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit.

This darling book was delivered yesterday and given to our project by Diane. Thank you, Diane. I love the words of Audrey and the art of Don Woods. 


No comments:

Post a Comment