Monday, August 27, 2018

Hope Is a Ferris Wheel by Robin Herrera

Hope Is a Ferris Wheel by Robin Herrera was published in 2014. I had not heard of this book, but picked it up at my local library, and I'm glad I did. In Herrera's story, Star, the main character is new to her California school. She has moved here from Oregon with her Mom, her sister, and their mother's best friend and all live in the same trailer park right next to the town dump.

Star is in fifth grade, and although she reads older than ten, I enjoyed her story. Her sister, Winter, is sixteen and attends the alternative high school, she is depressed and struggling. Star decides to create a club at school, but it ends up completely different than what she'd imagined.

As Star and Winter search for their absentee father, things don't turn out quite like the girls expected.

I loved Star's vocabulary sentences, and I loved the poetry. Star's relationships with her sister and mother are realistic. Her journey at times made me remember how I felt as a child with an absentee father and how confusing those feelings can be.

I was confused at first who the character's were, but Star is the main character, Winter is her older sister, her mother is Carly, and her  mother's best friend is Gloria. Now you know who is who before you even start reading.

Some quotes I enjoyed:

Page 120 ". . . but I think hope is a rock. Because you can squeeze it all you want, and you can't destroy it. But it can still be crushed."

Page 121 "Hope is September when I get all my new students."

Page 121 "Hope is a dirty window. You can't see through it all the way. You just figure there's something good out there."

Page 143 "Sometimes hope isn't enough."

Page 241 "It turns out I just needed one person. One friend."

Happy reading this week and may we all be that one friend for someone in the world who just needs one person.



Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment