Friday, April 10, 2020

All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot

All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot was published in 1973. I listened to the audio version which was expertly narrated. I didn't want it to end. I felt like I was listening to this old country veterinarian tell me stories from his life's practice in a soothing voice using humor and tenderness. This is the second book after All Things Great and Small which I am currently listening to.

James Herriot does all he can to help the animals he treats. He is not a perfect man but is flawed and likable. He described things in a manner that I felt like I was standing alongside him watching him work. He treats mostly farm animals, but he he treats domestic animals as well and is trying to grow that part of his practice when this story takes place. The stories in this book are from the late 1930s and early 1940s.

I think any animal lover will enjoy this book. You may even like this book if you don't like animals as the stories are told in an engaging and humorous fashion.

Herriot's books are soothing, tender, and funny - perfect for listening or reading during the pandemic.


One of our NICU's graduates recently held an Usborne book drive for our NICU to honor their first birthday. Here are the darling books we received from their family and friends. I love Usborne books. They are well made and have cute stories. Thank you for the donation and happy birthday. 




Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment