Monday, April 13, 2020

The Year of Miss Agnes by Kirkpatrick Hill

The Year of Miss Agnes by Kirkpatrick Hill was published in 2000. The author was raised in Fairbanks, Alaska and taught school for more than thirty years, most of which was spent teaching in one-room schoolhouses in the Alaskan bush.

I liked this story set in 1948 because it shows a good teacher accepting the kids for who they are. She teaches with kindness and shows her students why it's important to learn the things she's teaching. I loved that she taught Fred's deaf sister, Bokko, sign language, and how the other children learned it and began communicating with her.

This teacher made a difference while respecting the culture of her students. She even taught the parents of the children.

This is a good book for middle grade students.


Lindsey brought by some T-shirts and buttons for me to make headbands for healthcare workers. She also brought books for my little free library, but I snagged some of them for the NICU. Thanks, Lindsey for gifts.



Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.







No comments:

Post a Comment