Thursday, June 9, 2016

Novel Medicine

In our Sunday paper, there was an article called "Novel Medicine Using books: Bibliotherapists Work to Help Treat Insomnia, Depression, More." 

If you get a chance, click on the link and read the article. I found it interesting because I've often been asked why I turned out the way I did, which means that I turned out okay despite my completely dysfunctional childhood. At times I've wondered why my life is as good as it is considering my starting point, but this article explains a lot.

I have always been a reader, and reading books has saved my life. Reading Jane Eyre at age eight, let me know that I could make the kind of life I wanted. My children didn't have to endure the things I'd endured. To Kill a Mockingbird showed me the kind of father I wanted my children to have.

Books have shown me what "normal" looks like, what good parenting looks like, what meal planning looks like, and how to process abuse issues and come out stronger on the other side. I think this is why reading and books are so important to me and why I wish I could instill that love of books in every person I meet. Books teach compassion and survival skills.

Books can and will heal the troubled mind and heart. Is there a book in your life that has helped you heal?




Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment