Wednesday, January 1, 2020

My Favorite Reads in 2018: Picture Book and Middle Grade

That doesn't mean they were published in 2018, it means I read them in 2018. I have too much of a to be read pile to only read books that were published during the year. I am often very late to the party where books are concerned. I read about 200 books a year, so this is long list.

Starting with Children's picture books, here are some of my favorite discoveries for 2018:

The Rabbit Listened by Cori Doerrfeld. This book teaches how to be supportive of a friend dealing with disappointment.
Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson. This is an excellent book to use at home or in the classroom and could be used in upper grades. The art is amazing.

Breathe by Scott Magoon. I wish I could give every baby in the NICU this book. This is something the nurses and parents say often to those tiny ones. This book is beautiful.

My Heart by Corinna Luyken. This is a sweet tender story about feelings.

For our Middle Grade readers, here are my favorites. Keep in mind that many middle school and high school students may also enjoy them. I'm a grandma and I love books for all ages.

True . . . (Sort of) by Katherine Hannigan. This book teaches about learning to control ones impulses along with what it takes to be a good friend.

Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg. If you have a child with a friend dealing with a parents's death, this is a great book with just the right mix of humor and seriousness.

Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk. Have you ever read about the island in the United States that was turned into a leper colony? I hadn't either until I read this book.

The House of Hades by Rick Riordan. I love Rick Riordan's work. I love that he helps other authors. I love that his books are inclusive of all people. This was my favorite of all his work that I've read so far.
 
Spilling Ink: A Young Writers' Handbook by Anne Mazer and Ellen Potter. If you have a young writer in your life, they need this book.

I'll end here for today and do another post tomorrow with my young adult and adult favorites.

Read to a child today even if that child is you.

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment