Wednesday, January 15, 2020

The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou

The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou was published in 1994 and is a reminder of why she is such a great poet. I am writing a book of poetry, but reading her work both inspires me and makes me feel like a pretender.

Her poetry is powerful. Here is one of my favorites from this collection:

"Family Affairs"

You let down, from arched
Windows,
Over hand-cut stones of your
Cathedrals, seas of golden hair.

While I, pulled by dusty braids,
Left furrows in the
Sands of African beaches.

Princes and commoners
Climbed over waves to reach
Your vaulted boudoirs,

As the sun, capriciously,
Struck silver fire from waiting
Chains, where I was bound.

My screams never reached
The rare tower where you
Lay, birthing masters for
My sons, and for my
Daughters, a swarm of
Unclean badgers, to consume
Their history.

Tired now of pedestal existence
For fear of flying
And vertigo, you descend
And step lightly over
My centuries of horror
And take my hand,

Smiling, call me
        Sister.

Sister, accept
That I must wait a
While. Allow an age
Of dust to fill
Ruts left on my
Beach in Africa.

This collection is full of poems as strong as this one. She is truly a masterful writer.


Corbin Canfield held a book drive for our NICU for his Eagle Scout project. Thanks to all who donated. Most of these are headed for the NICU. Some will end up in the NICU waiting room and a few will go to local little free libraries.






 Anne Corts sent these books. Some will go to the NICU waiting room and some will go to local little free libraries.

We appreciate every donation because every donation gets books into the hands of children.


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment