Friday, March 20, 2020

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Dodger by Terry Pratchett was published in 2012. I listened to the audio version, which as well narrated. After reading and loving Good Omens, I wanted to read more by Terry Pratchett. Pratchett has quite the sense of humor and often draws the reader into the narrative but not in a jarring way.

His writing reminds me of watching a play where the audience is a part of things, but not a character.

Dodger is a seventeen-year-old street-wise urchin. He supports himself by picking treasures out of the sewers. The story begins with Dodger rescuing a girl from her captors and continues on with Dodger meeting Charles Dickens, Sweeney Todd, and Benjamin Disraeli. Pratchett mixes reality, history, fiction, and fantasy to create this fun story that made me laugh. I'll be on the look out for more of his work.



Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment