Monday, March 2, 2020

Educated by Tara Westover

Educated by Tara Westover was published in 2018 and is her memoir. I connected with a lot of her memoir because I spent part of my childhood in a fundamentalist religion. Tara was raised as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but her parents were more survivalists and the type to use the priesthood as weapon instead of a gift. I know that oils and other healing methods can be useful, but often, Tara and her siblings were the victims of medical neglect.

I really liked  the way Tara described processing her abuse. I was thankful she was able to get counseling, and that despite her parents success at "home schooling," she was able to overcome all they didn't teach her and all she endured. I also like that her response to their gas lighting of her was to send her story out to the masses.

I really hope her brother gets help or locked up before he kills someone.

I listened to the audio version which as well narrated.



Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

Link to our NICU book registry if you'd like to donate books to babies in the newborn intensive care unit so their parents can read to them while they grow. You can also donate gently used books to our project by sending them to me or to Angie. Email me for a mailing address. We can use both English and Spanish books. If you have a graduate of the NICU, or if you have a baby whose life you would like to honor by donating books to this project, let me know, and I can make a book plate with their name for the books you donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment