Friday, April 8, 2016

A Great Week for the NICU Book Project

This week has been great for the NICU book project. On Saturday, I found 20 like new books at a yard sale for only $9. At another yard sale, the kind gentleman running it gave me 7 like new books when I told him what I do with them.

I love Go, Dog, Go! There are trees like the dog party tree in Hawaii. I was so excited when I first saw them. My two oldest children loved The Cat in the Hat so much that I had it memorized.



















My neighbor, Michelle, brought 24 books for the NICU. Look at these great titles; they are sure to be read over, and over, and over. If you haven't read Caps for Sale, you should. It is such a fun story with some very naughty monkeys. She is wonderful to include Spanish and board books. It is so important for babies to be read to in their home language, and board books allow babies to handle the books without danger of damaging them.


Susan Walton, one of Angie's co-workers, donated 3 new books - two of them are board books. I love when we get board books. I would love to get enough of them to include two in each packet. She picked great titles that will be treasured by the little ones. The Very Hungry Caterpillar was one I read to my grandson, Isaac, when he was in the NICU, and it is a classic for good reason.

I appreciate people giving to this project. Angie texted today to tell me the difference having these books in the NICU is making for these parents. Being able to read to their babies helps calm newborns and parents who are trying to deal with the stress of being in intensive care. They help build the brains of these little fighters, and allow them peaceful bonding time that will become a lifelong habit of literacy mastery.

Thank you all again. Your kindness brings tears of happiness to this grown up book nerd.

Read to a child today even if that child is you.

If you'd like to contribute to our book drive for NICU babies, here is how you can help:

1. You can order books for your own children from our online Usborne book party and the proceeds will go to purchase books for the NICU. I've received over $350.00 in free books for the NICU from people buying books for their own families through this web link. Usborne is really good to their hostesses, and they have great board books for babies. Click on the link: Usborne book sale to benefit NICU The books you order will be shipped directly to your home. You can then give them to your children, grandchildren, nieces, or nephews. The free books from the hostess benefits go to the NICU. Books make a great addition to your child's Easter basket. 

2. We have set up a baby registry at Amazon.com with many books listed for the NICU babies. Some of these books only cost $2.50. Many of these are classics that all children should have. Click on this link if you'd like to help provide books for the NICU: Catherine Crosby Building Lifelong Readers Book Registry. If you order books for us, they will be shipped to me, and I will package and send them to the NICU. 

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog from your comment on Shimelle's blog! Love that you do this!

    ReplyDelete