Friday, April 22, 2016

Summer Stinks by Marty Kelley

I have a thing for ABC books, but they can't be boring and just show words that start with the letter. I like them to be fun and have a story. Kayana told me she didn't like ABC books for this very reason - most are boring. I collect fun ABC books, and she has learned Grandma's ABC books are very cool.

Summer Stinks by Marty Kelley is told in rhyme and has all the things that are yucky about summer. I personally love summer, but you have to admit, there are things, like bugs, that make summer tricky.

The pictures are fun and the entire book is about the same theme. "A is for Ants that ate my whole snack. B is for Bug that crawled down my back. C is for Castles the tide washed away. D is for Dog-doo I stepped in today."

The rhymes make this a fun read. In a classroom, you could share this book, and then have students create their own alphabet book based on an emotion about any thing. They could write about the positive aspects of summer instead of the negative aspects. Everything I love about. . . Everything that scares me . . . ABCs of anger, happiness, etc.

I have a large collection of ABC books, and always read through new ones to see if they are worthy of my collection.



Here is a recording of Summer Stinks.



My friend and neighbor, Michelle, brought more books for the NICU. Without her help, we would not be able to give as many babies the gift of literacy. Michelle, I appreciate you more than you know. I am thankful you are my friend and that you live next door. 



If you'd like to contribute to our book drive for NICU babies, here is how you can help:

1. You can order books for your own children from our online Usborne book party and the proceeds will go to purchase books for the NICU. I've received over $350.00 in free books for the NICU from people buying books for their own families through this web link. Usborne is really good to their hostesses, and they have great board books for babies. Click on the link: Usborne book sale to benefit NICU The books you order will be shipped directly to your home. You can then give them to your children, grandchildren, nieces, or nephews. The free books from the hostess benefits go to the NICU. Books make a great addition to your child's Easter basket. 

2. We have set up a baby registry at Amazon.com with many books listed for the NICU babies. Some of these books only cost $2.50. Many of these are classics that all children should have. Click on this link if you'd like to help provide books for the NICU: Catherine Crosby Building Lifelong Readers Book Registry. If you order books for us, they will be shipped to me, and I will package and send them to the NICU. 


Read to a child today even if that child is you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment