Thursday, April 14, 2016

Throwback Thursday: I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Nadine Bernard Westcott

In 1980, the year my first child was born, Nadine Bernard Westcott's version of I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly was published. All of my children loved this book, so my copy is a bent and tattered, but it is out of print, so I can't replace it for a decent price.

I took this book with me when I visited my little grandson in Hawaii last summer. He hadn't seen me for eighteen months, so I knew I needed to bring in the big guns to win him over. After one reading of this book, he was on my lap wanting me to read it again. Books have magic, and this one is one of my favorites.

Westcott's pictures are hilarious. The facial expressions of the old woman and the animals will make you laugh, and each pictures has many fun details. I'll record it later this week so you can see the fun pictures.


NICU Book Project:
My neighbor, Michelle, brought nine more books for the NICU. She is an angel to contribute so many books to our little fighters.



If you'd like to contribute to our book drive for NICU babies, here is how you can help:

1. You can order books for your own children from our online Usborne book party and the proceeds will go to purchase books for the NICU. I've received over $350.00 in free books for the NICU from people buying books for their own families through this web link. Usborne is really good to their hostesses, and they have great board books for babies. Click on the link: Usborne book sale to benefit NICU The books you order will be shipped directly to your home. You can then give them to your children, grandchildren, nieces, or nephews. The free books from the hostess benefits go to the NICU. Books make a great addition to your child's Easter basket. 

2. We have set up a baby registry at Amazon.com with many books listed for the NICU babies. Some of these books only cost $2.50. Many of these are classics that all children should have. Click on this link if you'd like to help provide books for the NICU: Catherine Crosby Building Lifelong Readers Book Registry. If you order books for us, they will be shipped to me, and I will package and send them to the NICU. 


Read to a child today even if that child is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment